Saturday, November 14, 2009

Maumelle Writers Conference 11/7/09

Last Saturday I spent the best $25 I can remember.  I attended my first writers conference, and got so much more than my money's worth!  This particular conference was presented by the Maumelle Arts Council.  I wasn't sure what to expect, never having been to such an event.  I assumed I would meet other writers, glean a few tips on how to improve my writing skills and perhaps, if things went as I hoped, learn a little more about the steps necessary to move me further along the path toward a full time career as an author. 

Which caused me to wonder, what do I call myself and does it really matter?  Author or writer, what's the difference?  When in doubt or in need of clarification, I rely on good old Mr. Webster (or nowadays, Dictionary.com) to help me out:

Author–noun 1. a person who writes a novel, poem, essay, etc.; the composer of a literary work, as distinguished from a compiler, translator, editor, or copyist.
2. the literary production or productions of a writer: to find a passage in an author.
3. the maker of anything; creator; originator

Writer-–noun 1. a person engaged in writing books, articles, stories, etc., esp. as an occupation or profession; an author or journalist.
2. a clerk, scribe, or the like.
3. a person who commits his or her thoughts, ideas, etc., to writing: an expert letter writer.
4. (in a piece of writing) the author (used as a circumlocution for “I,” “me,” “my,” etc.): The writer wishes to state….
5. a person who writes or is able to write

Hmmm, sound pretty interchangeable, don't they?  This is one of those debates that can rage on endlessly and never, in my opinion, change a thing.  You may call me a writer, author, storyteller, poet, journalist or scribe...it doesn't matter to me as long as I have the freedom to express myself in words of my own choosing.
 
Now, back to the conference!  From the moment the first keynote speaker, Ms. Darla Haas, began talking about inspirational writing I knew I was in for a treat.  I  recently discovered this to be the path the majority of my writing takes, and was eager to hear what she had to say.     
 
Ms. Haas, a wonderfully engaging speaker, shared that one of the definitions of  "inspire" is to suggest, to be the motivating but unnamed power behind.  I realized that to be the force behind another's direction, the reason they change something in their lives that ultimately makes them a better person, brings them more joy, more success, more fulfillment, is the heart with which I write.  Be it a poem, children's story, blog entry or romance novel, I find I am passionate about motivating others to be their best.
 
Whether my words are credited with that person's life-changing shift in direction is of no consequence -- hence the "unnamed power behind" part of the definition.  I just want to share something from my heart or life experiences that benefits another person in some way, whether it be to follow my example or run in the opposite direction.  I love the Catherine Aird quote "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning".  Either way, my life and words can have an effect.  I took copious notes, and knew within that first few minutes that I would come away with much more than I expected. 

Prolific novelist Laura Parker Castoro was our second keynote speaker.  Gregarious, bubbly, funny and passionate about writing, she shared practical, clear cut instruction on what I call the "nuts and bolts" of building a good story, urging us to give the reader 'a clear place to hang their emotional hat'. 
 
Workshops on various topics ranging from Writing 101 to the How and Why of Winning Poems and ABC's of Scene Writing were available throughout the day, coordinated by various local writers (or authors, if you prefer).  Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend every one, but gained valuable information from those I did attend. 
 
One of the highlights of the day for me had to be the impromptu, one-on-one conversation I had with Ms. Castoro after the author panel discussion.  The fact that she took time to brainstorm story elements--attitudes and possible motivation of various characters, internal and external conflict, expectations, actions and problem resolution--was invaluable to me, and I am forever in her debt.  If you haven't checked her out yet, you should definitely visit http://www.lauracastoro.com/.
 
All in all it was a wonderful day, a Saturday well spent on the way to fulfilling my dream of becoming a full time writer.  I look forward to my next conference with great anticipation, and recommend the experience to anyone wishing to further their writing career.
 
God bless you, and keep writing! ~ cpwritergirl

No comments:

Post a Comment