Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thankfulness

I suppose it's only natural to be thinking along thankfulness lines at this time of year.  I love the fact that we live in a country that has set aside at least one day a year for being thankful.  It comes at a good time, I believe, considering Christmas is the next holiday.  When I think of all I am thankful for, material goods are not what comes to mind.  Like most of us, I could always use a nicer this or a newer that, and I am thankful for the things I have, but the true, deeper thoughts of thankfulness revolve around relationships. 

When I think of the love and support I receive from the close relationships I have with others, I become extrememly thankful.  It helps me keep things in perspective when shopping for Christmas gifts.  I tend to look for something that will express my thankfulness for what those close to me have given throughout the year.  I look for that thing that demonstrates in a tangible way the often intangible gifts they've given me. 

This past weekend I found a beautiful, soft, colorful and warm winter scarf that made me think of someone near and dear.  I bought it for her because to me it represented her soft, warm, beautiful heart, and I could picture her smiling as she wrapped it around her neck to stay warm this winter.  The thought made me smile.  I knew it would look beautiful on her, that it would meet a need, and be both practical and pleasing.  It wasn't expensive, it wasn't couture, but I knew she would love it, and that's all that mattered.

I used to think the more I cared for someone the more I needed to spend on them to prove my love.  I've grown up since then.  It's not the volume of presents under the tree that matters.  It's the abundance of love and thankfulness with which they are given that will touch the hearts of those we love. 

I remember many a Christmas morning as a child looking for the tinfoil-covered shoebox that meant Grandma had once again made her special holiday fudge.  That was always the box I opened first, happily indulging in the rich, nut-laden homemade goodness as all the other presents were passed around and opened eagerly.  To be honest, I can't remember a single gift I received in my childhood that meant as much as Grandma's fudge.  I'm sure I received many wonderful things ~ toys, books, new clothes, dolls, etc. ~ but I don't remember them.  I do, however, remember Grandma's tin foiled box of love. 

If you worry over the amount of money you have to spend on gifts this year, if you are concerned it's not enough, the presents won't be fancy enough or there won't be enough of them under the tree...don't.  Just do what you can to show those you love how thankful you are for them.  Make a card that expresses your joy at having them in your life.  Bake a batch of cookies or homemade fudge.  Draw a picture, write a poem, or give a "coupon" for a task or service you will provide free of charge.  Write a note or letter and simply tell someone how they have influenced your life in a positive way.

Remember, it isn't the dollar amount you spend that matters, it isn't the name on the label or the expertise with which it is assembled.  It's the amount of heart you put in to whatever you give that shows how much you care.  Do it now, this year.  Don't wait to tell someone you love how thankful you are for their life.  It just might be the best gift you could possibly give.

God bless you ~ cpwritergirl

No comments:

Post a Comment