Wednesday, November 2, 2011

'I can't take your money!'

I tried everything I could think of, but the woman on the other end of the phone would not take my money. I was trying very hard to give her $1,400 but she simply would not take it. Let me back up a bit and explain. A few years ago I was trying to get out of debt, and there was one big bill I needed to handle. At $1,400 it was, in fact, the single largest outstanding debt, representing the balance owed on an orthodontic bill. For various reasons, payments on this bill had lapsed. Although it was close to two years past due and I hadn't received any statements in quite some time, I knew I still owed the orthodontist and I was bound and determined to clear this debt. Hence, on the day in question, the phone call to the polite but somewhat uncooperative billing department manager.

I suppose it's actually unfair to label her "uncooperative", but the fact was she was not willing to take my money. I had an old statement in my hand as I explained that the purpose of my call was to take care of the outstanding balance on my bill; I simply needed to verify the amount and my check would be on it's way to their office. The woman in charge of billing put me on hold as she pulled up my account. Or should I say, as she attempted to pull up my account in her computer system. After several minutes she informed me that she had no record of an outstanding bill with my name on it. I gave her the account name and number from the statement once more, along with the amount due. I also explained that I was in the process of paying off all my bills in order to become debt free, and how important this was to me to accomplish my goal.

"I understand what you're trying to do, and I appreciate your honesty, but...I can't take your money" she informed me. "I don't understand", I replied. "I know I owe you this money. I have the statement in my hand and I want to pay what I owe the doctor. He provided services for which he has not been paid, and that's not right. I want to take care of this properly." I was becoming frustrated by this woman who refused to acknowledge my debt and allow me to clear it.

"Ma'am, I would love to take your money, but I wouldn't have anywhere to put it" she stated. "We have a new computer system since you last visited our office, and there simply is no record of an outstanding balance with your name on it." I asked her to please check her paper files, and even pressed her about old records stored off site. She chuckled at one point, amused by how hard I was trying to give her money. She expressed the uniqueness of someone arguing with her about their bill in this particular manner. I don't think she'd ever had anyone insist that they DID owe money.

After several minutes and a lot of dialogue back and forth I finally had to give up. That's not something I do easily, especially when I know I'm right, but there was no way this woman was going to take my money. She insisted I did not owe a bill that I insisted I did! Something had to give. It was a situation I'd never faced before. She finally convinced me that despite my good intentions, if I did indeed mail her a check~whether for $4 or $1,400~she'd just have to mail it back to me, so I might as well save us both the trouble.

I thanked the billing manager for her patience and multiple attempts to locate my bill, although I still wasn't convinced it didn't exist somewhere, stuffed in the back of a file drawer. I felt odd not paying my debt, but it was abundantly clear that my debt no longer existed as far as the other party was concerned. As the billing manager so patiently explained, there simply was no record of it anywhere. It was an experience I'll never forget.

I can't help but think of how God works. When it comes to our debt, there's nothing left to pay. God's only begotten son, Jesus Christ, made complete and total payment for our sins; past, present and future. I think about the way my orthodontia debt disappeared, and how no matter what tactic I used to pay my nonexistent bill I was told "You don't owe us anything". God is like the billing department manager, in a way. He keeps no record of our sins. He casts them as far as the east is from the west and remembers them no more. When we try to remind Him of them by asking for forgiveness over and over again, He says "What sin? I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about. I have no record of any debt with your name on it."

So why keep trying to pay a bill that doesn't exist? If this sounds like you, stop! Don't expend any more effort trying to pay a debt you no longer owe. It's counter-productive. Don't write that check...God has nowhere to put it. As a child of God, you are spiritually debt free. Enjoy it, and perhaps take a moment to send your Heavenly Father a mental thank you note today.

God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment